Thursday, March 19, 2009 By: Suzanne

BTT: Worst "best" book


This week's question over at Should Be Reading is:

"What the worst 'best' book you've ever read - the one that everyone says is so great but you can't figure out why?"

This is easy because it happened to me recently: Catch-22. I talked about this a few times on here and it's time to admit to everyone that....I did not finish the book. I'm sorry to everyone out that thinks this is the most wonderfully, hilarious book ever. I didn't think so. Yeah it was funny but I simply didn't care what happened to Yossarian or any of the characters in that book. After I got about a third of the way through I stopped making myself pick it up.

Another is The Catcher in the Rye. I thought Holden Caulfield was simply a spoiled, rich brat who was bored with life and trying to make things a little more interesting for himself. Of course, I guess that premise does sound pretty interesting. I didn't like him and can't explain any better than that why! Maybe it was because he reminded me of other entitled, arrogant man-boys I've known. I finished this one but by sure will.

1 comments:

Christine said...

How funny, my very first thought was The Catcher in the Rye!!!!

Over all, I did like it. But there seemed to be no resolution. The 'Big-A-Ah' just never happened. He left us with his angst.
My FAVORITE book ..... To Kill a Mockingbird ... OMG .. I get happy just thinking about it!

Followers