Tuesday, January 27, 2009 By: Suzanne

Greenmantle


This is another book by one of my favorite authors, Charles de lint. Often his novels are infused with music, either on the periphery or as an integral part of the book. In The Little Country he even includes some sheet music at the end of the story. Greenmantle uses the music to bring together the two worlds he likes to write about, ours and the fey.

The story is about Tony Valenti, an ex-mob hit man who is trying to turn his life around and stay hidden after his mob family turns on him. It is also about Frankie and Ali Treasure, a mother and daughter who move to Frankie's childhood home after winning the lottery. They are also looking for a new life. What Ali and Tony (now neighbors) find, is a beautiful and haunting music that calls to them from the woods. Chasing the music and mystery it promises leads them to a forgotten village filled with people who worship and call the mystery to them every night through that music. The two worlds collide when Tony is found by a mob contact who also happens to be Ali's dead-beat father.

I loved the imagery in this book and of course, the importance of the music. The music is not good and it is not bad. The mystery is not good and it is not bad. They are what you bring to them. A very important message for us all in the way we live our lives, I believe.

From the back of the book:

Not far from the city is an ancient wood, forgotten by the modern world, where Mystery walks in the moonlight. He wears the shape of a stag, or a goat, or a horned man wearing a cloak of leaves. He is summoned by the music of the pipes or a fire of bones on Midsummer's Evening. He is chased by the hunt and shadowed by the wild girl.
When he touches your dreams, your life will never be the same again.

6 comments:

Ruthanne said...

I'm half way through The Return of the King. I'm enjoying this one the best out of all the others.

We're set to watch The Two Towers tonight. Better make sure I have my comfort pillow to shield my eyes if it gets too scary! hahahaha :D

Suzanne said...

Return of the King was my favorite too. I really loved Sam after that book.

Ruthanne said...

Okay. I liked The Two Towers movie better than The Fellowship of the Ring. I guess I'm getting desensitized to voilence! ;D

Suzanne said...

Cinematically (is that a word?) it's a great movie but I was disappointed in how much time they spent on the fighting when there's so much more to the book.

Andrea Aponte said...

Oooh, love the quote. I think it's because I'm feeling very drawn to my pagan roots lately. Can I brrow that one too?

Suzanne said...

I think this is one I sent out on Paperback Swap! Sorry! I just had sooooo many books. They were taking over the living room. I have a couple others of his that you can borrow, though I'd recommend finding this one, because it was wonderful.

Followers