Tuesday, September 2, 2008 By: Suzanne

Firefly Lane

Reading Kristin Hannah was my attempt to get out of my Fantasy and Sci-Fi rut. Something about her storylines appealed to me as I was browsing through the bookstore. I've read a couple of her stories now and while they don't necessarily fill me with wonder and all encompassing joy, they are a delightful diversion. Often her characters are well developed, even if they are a little on the stereotypical side.

Firefly Lane is a beautiful story about the love between two friends and the life they weave together from the time they are 14. Hannah does a great job at creating conflict and not quite ever resolving the issues as happens in real long term friendships. The only issue I have with this book is the ending. I felt cheated. After taking so much time to carefully play out these conflicts, I felt she got to a point where she simply didn't know what to do with the characters and so...well I won't completely ruin the ending. You may still want to read it. Let's just say it wraps way to neatly for all her efforts at depicting a real life friendship.

And that's the main issue I have with all of Hannah's work. She sets up her characters wonderfully in these complex situations and then ends it all way to neatly. It's a big let down after the emotional roller coaster she takes you on. Her stories are definately for people who want the fairy tale ending everytime.

0 comments:

Followers