Saturday, July 17, 2010 By: Suzanne

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Audio

Yes, I know I am late to the game in reviewing this book, but that's never stopped me before! hehehe

When I first started listening to the audio of this book, I was so intrigued by the story that I did what I promised myself I wouldn't do, I went out and read other reviews of it before finishing. Let's just say that when I discovered the original name was Men Who Hate Women and I saw this in the NYTimes review, "Except for Blomkvist, nearly every man in the book under age 70 is a violent misogynist," I quickly thought I was going to hate this book. Good thing I had already downloaded it and was listening to it, because if I had read that prior to buying it, I never would have. I loved this book. I think the NYTimes review of it is greatly exaggerated. I swear, the book reviewers they have there hate everything. Are they paid by how well they can trash a book?

I found the "mystery" to be slightly predictable but the writing so compelling I couldn't stop listening. I put in on my ipod and listened to on my walks with the dogs, as I was cleaning house, and even while I was in the shower! Shame on you Alex Barenson. Did you even finish this book? You say, "Even after 460 pages, it’s not clear whether Blomkvist cares, whether he’s troubled by his lack of intimacy or simply resigned to it. Is he stoic or merely Swedish? Either way, he seems more a stock character than a real person." But that's how all mystery characters are. Since when do mystery writers spend time examining the intricate details of the investigator's life? The reader would be bored. The mystery is the important part and Larsson does this well. I will definitely be reading the other books with Blomkvist and Lisbeth, who is undoubtedly the most interesting character in the book and well deserving of the American title. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I actually read this book. I liked it and like most people, I was hooked on Lisabeth. She drew me in.

The only thing that I didn't like about the book was Blomkvist. He really bored me. Which made for a good contrast against Lisabeth, but made for boring reading for me when she wasn't in the scene.

Also the fact that women seemed to throw themselves at a man who seems to have the charm of a pet rock didn't really make sense to me.

I came across the Swedish movie they made about the book on Netflix last week, so I'm actually reading The Girl Who Played with Fire at the moment.

Suzanne said...

Yeah, I was confused by everyone throwing themselves at Blomkvist too. The only thing I could figure is the author saw himself as the main character! hahaha. I saw the movie was on Netflix too but since I JUST finished the book I didn't want to watch it just yet. You'll have to let me know if it has English subtitles since I don't speak Swedish!

Anonymous said...

Yep, it has subtitles. I thought the movie was ok. A friend of mine who hasnt read the book really liked the movie. He couldnt understand why Hollywood was making the movie again. But considering Fincher is directing, I can see why. I'm sure Fincher's version is going to be considerably different than the Swedish version.

Anonymous said...

I am very late to the game on this one. One day I will finally read it!

Followers