Tuesday, December 2, 2008 By: Suzanne

Teaser: We The Living

My Teaser for this Tuesday comes from Ayn Rand's first novel We The Living. I decided to read it because even though I was profoundly affected by The Fountainhead, I never read her first novel. This statement is made by Kira, the main character:

Don't you know we that live only for ourselves, the best of us do, those who are worthy of it? Don't you know that there is something in us which must not be touched by any state, by any collective, by any number of millions?

From the back of the book:

She would die to live and love
This book is Ayn Rand's first novel. Its theme is one of the most significant of our day - the individual against the state. It portrays the impact of the Russian revolution on three human beings who demand the right to live their own lives and pursue their own happiness. It tells of a girl's passionate love, held like a fortress against the corrupting evil of a totalitarian state.
Ayn Rand said about it:
"...it is as near to an autobiography as I will ever write. The plot is invented, the background is not...The specific events of Kira's life were not mine; her ideas, her convictions, her values, were and are.

2 comments:

Kt<3 said...

You know, you just reminded me of this quote that a friend once told me after being heartbroken her boyfriend impregnated another women:
"The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."

Suzanne said...

This is the perfect quote to compare to Ayn Rand. I'd be very interested in seeing what she would think of today's society and political theater. Somehow I think I may not agree with her though...

Followers