Thursday, June 10, 2010 By: Suzanne

The Path of Daggers

On with my re-read of WOT. I have finally finished book 8. It's only taken me 6 months to get here! I've noticed since I started this re-read that I am reading a little slower than normal. Not sure what that means. Either I am not motivated or I don't want it to end!

I am constantly being surprised by how much I am still in love with the characters of this series. I remember being really irritated by the time I got to this book before. I originally started reading this in the summer of 2000, right before Winter's Heart was published. I know that I consumed the first 5 or so books as if they were chocolate and then I started to slow down. By the time I actually got to The Path of Daggers, I was already starting to become disillusioned and cursing the guy in my British Lit class who turned me on to the series. Now though, I'm finding that I really love this series right up to this point. I figured out what was irritating for me before. I don't like Rand anymore and I don't really care about his storyline anymore. But maybe that's the point. He's not the same wide-eye innocent he was in The Eye of the World but if he was would be able to do what needs to be done? Of course not! I am loving Egwene's story and feeling a little frustrated that there isn't more of it in each section she's in. I'm loving Elayne's story and feeling a little frustrated that there isn't more of her too! I also remember waiting for Moiraine to come back, although I knew she probably wouldn't. Now I'm not waiting for storylines to take the turn I want them to. I find myself having forgot so much (the reason I decided to re-read them in the first place!) but reading it again brings it all back and I am anticipating future stories that I only remember parts of with glee. The end of this book was so exciting that I stayed up real late last night finishing, something I haven't done in a while. I can't wait to get to the next book and see what has happened at the Black Tower with the Aes Sedai who were captured. I KNOW what happens but still feel this sense of, "oooohhhhh, what happens?"

Here's the lesson for me: Don't assume you know where things are going, because you'll be disappointed in the end. Read with an open heart and things will surprise you, maybe in a happy way.

I also wanted to share the cover of the ebook version of this book because it so very beautiful. Elayne, Aviendha, and Nynaeve here are working the Bowl of Winds. This is not how I pictured the scene in MY head, but it's still very beautiful.


Edit: I just found out the next book (13), Towers of Midnight, will be released on Oct 26, 2010. I should be ready for it then!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone else who's reading WOT like me :-)

I've been meaning to re-read it as well but was waiting for the 12th book. Been searching without success in the bookshops here, sigh :-(

Now, you've just given me a headache. Both my bro and I thought #12 was the last and we could finally invest on something else. Now, you tell me there's a book #13. Wait until he finds out. LOL.

Suzanne said...

Book 12 was supposed to be last but before Robert Jordan died, he put the rest of the story into notes and recordings so that someone could finish it for him after he passed. When Branden Sanderson took on the job, he felt he could not do the story justice in just one book so he split it into three. So there's actually going to be 14 books! 13 (Towers of Midnight) comes out in October of this year and 14 (Memory of Light) should be released next year.

Beverly said...

I am thrilled to find a couple more Robert Jordan fans! I love WOT! I am constantly trying to get my students to read this series - but they seem to be daunted by the size of the books. You have inspired me! I too was waiting for the last book - devestated when he died - and now I want to re-read them all before 14 comes out! Happy Reading - oh - love the e-book cover!

Suzanne said...

What grade do you teach? Do you have anyone in your class that you KNOW is a fantasy fan? A good way to get someone interested is do what someone did with me, give them the first book. A guy in my British Lit class knew I liked fantasy but had never read WOT (this was in 2000) so he gave me his paperback copy of The Eye of the World, said he was planning on getting them all in hardback anyway. I was hooked as soon as I opened the book.

Followers