Monday, April 20, 2009 By: Suzanne

Audio: The Undomestic Goddess

After listening to The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella (the second of hers I've listened to now), I've come to a realization. I think I might like chick literature. Silently screaming "NO NO NO" right now. Maybe it's simply because I listened to them. I've never liked chick lit before. It's kind of like being able to watch Bridget Jones while I drive (which I don't recommend, of course). Or maybe Sophie Kinsella is a better writer than most chick lit authors. I also realize that using the term "chick lit" is slightly demeaning, but hey, that's what it is. From the back:

Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She's made a mistake so huge, it'll wreck any chance of partnership. Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she's mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as a housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they've hired a lawyer - and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can't sew a button, bake a potato, or get the *&%&^$ ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope...is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake.

Now I'll admit, it was very predictable and I've said in the past the reason I don't like mysteries is because they're so predictable. But maybe that's not the full reason. It WAS predictable but not in a way that Samantha should have seen all along. When she does start to get hints that something's not right, she doesn't waste 500 pages looking in the wrong direction (as often happens in P.I. and mystery books), she immediately starts to figure it out. Also, it was simply funny. I found myself laughing full out while stuck in traffic. You can't go wrong with a book like that.

Here's one of my favorite moments. It's about the gardener.

Great. One look at his body and I have a full-blown crush. I honestly thought I was a bit deeper than that.
As I shower and get dressed the next morning, I'm totally fixated by thoughts of Nathaniel. I'm aware I've reverted to the behavior of a 14 year old, that next I'll be doodling "Samantha loves Nathaniel" with a heart dotting the "i," but I don't care.

4 comments:

Ruthanne said...

*chuckle*

I've told you before - I love Sophie Kinsella!!

I can't remember which one you read earlier, but you NEED to listen to the Shopoholic series. They're a riot!

Anonymous said...

I've not read any of her books yet, but they seem like perfect books for the car.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good book. I started reading the Shopoholic series and I just could not get into them. I will try this book though. It sounds good!

Suzanne said...

well, i have found that listening to them is different. I wouldn't have said that before Kinsella but I believe it now.

Followers