Wednesday, September 1, 2010 By: Suzanne

Noise: A Novel by Darin Bradley

I feel the need to push this book, simply because I kind of know the guy. Well, I met him once and have seen him around in the bars a few times. hehehe. But how often does it happen that you actually know a published  author you're willing to read? Plus, from what I can tell, the town in the book is based on Denton, TX (where I live). That's just too cool. The book just came out today and I was actually fairly excited when I read what it was about. I'm a sucker for apocalyptic type stories.

From Amazon:
In the aftermath of the switch from analog to digital TV, an anarchic movement known as Salvage hijacks the unused airwaves. Mixed in with the static’s random noise are dire warnings of the imminent economic, political, and social collapse of civilization—and cold-blooded lessons on how to survive the fall and prosper in the harsh new order that will inevitably arise from the ashes of the old.

Hiram and Levi are two young men, former Scouts and veterans of countless Dungeons & Dragons campaigns. Now, on the blood-drenched battlefields of university campuses, shopping malls, and gated communities, they will find themselves taking on new identities and new moralities as they lead a ragtag band of hackers and misfits to an all-but-mythical place called Amaranth, where a fragile future waits to be born.


I've read the first two chapters and so far I love the different tone of this book from other science fiction. It reads like the narrator of an indie film. I know, that's a fairly broad statement, but I'm not the literary person here. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than that! To me it makes perfect sense.
It's a short book, 240 pages, and the writing is quick paced. I'll probably have finished by tonight or tomorrow. So different from my last few months of mire that is the WOT.

0 comments:

Followers