Friday, October 2, 2009 By: Suzanne

The Friday 56: City of Bones



Rules:
* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

HAPPY FRIDAY!

So, maybe I read The Stand one too many times, because I got bored with it or maybe I am simply still in that mood where nothing short of absolute amazing will satisfy me. It's so irritating to go into a bookstore, stare down my favorite section (Sci-fi/Fantasy) and see nothing new. Oh, there's plenty of "new" as in just released but it's the same old stuff in new packaging. I think that's one reason I was so excited about The Golden City, I knew that would be a welcome change from the old tired plotlines. I eventually picked up American Gods because, even though I read it already, that was several years ago and I was in the middle of my internship so I have forgotten more than I remember. Then yesterday I forgot to take it with me to work. I have a 2 hour break in the middle of the day. I really hate those but there's nothing I can do about it right now so I read. M-O-O-N spells boredom (as Tom Cullen would say). Off to Target I went because the crazy town of Weatherford doesn't have a Barnes and Noble or Half Price Books, or even a convenient little used bookstore (that I've seen). Again, the same old tired sh**, so I turned around to the Young Adult, which since the explosion of Twilight should be called Teen Girl Vampire Lust, and am considering one of these. Just because Stephanie Meyer can't write worth a da** doesn't mean these other authors can't. Then I see City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. OMFG (I don't usually use those but felt it was appropriate here), it's a completely different concept. Even if it sucks I will be happy that it's different. So, here ya go. My Friday 56 comes from that.

"She hasn't got runes to keep her strong like we do."
"Mundies always die awfully easily, don't they?"

6 comments:

fredamans said...

Interesting teaser!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2009/10/friday-56.html

Unknown said...

Sounds rather cool

Here's mine

Grandmother Wren said...

I've found some of my favorite reads in the young adult section of our library. They're pretty fast reads too - sometimes that's a good thing...

Here's what I'm reading

http://grandmotherwren.com/?p=2060

Gaby317 said...

Sounds intriguing!

Here's my link, from The Masonic Myth:

http://startingfresh-gaby317.blogspot.com/2009/10/friday-56-week-17.html

Sorry I missed last week - had an emergency!

gaby

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

I wanted to let you know about my blog address change. *sigh* If you're following me, my posts now won't show up in your feed, dashboard, sidebar, whatever. So please forgive me, but you'll have to change the address for my main writing blog, Where Romance Meets Therapy, to http://jeanniecampbell.blogspot.com. To do this, you have to "unfollow" me and follow me again. Sorry for the confusion!

Jeannie
The Character Therapist

Cherry said...

It's already Friday in my part of the world so here is my Friday 56 link: http://cherrymischievous.blogspot.com/2009/10/friday-56-obsidian-prey.html

Happy Friday to you too!

Followers